Friday, January 25, 2008

Religion, Race and Gender

How will these effect a person's ability to lead? Their ability to win? Why should/shouldn't these effect our vote?

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm going back and forth between your categories, trying to figure out where to post things. Hopefully this will work!

Anyway, last night Grandma reported a conversation she had with someone who had heard Romney in a debate. (I'm noting this, simply to allow for the inevitable inaccuracies in reporting when it's several parties removed--including my own paraphrasing here!) Anyway, she said that Romney was being attacked on every side with religious questions. Apparently he was asked a "and what if God talks to you when you're the president and He wants you to do something other than what the country wants" kind of irreverent question. The feeling of the person Grandma talked to was that Romney got defensive and failed to be a stand-up guy. Said something along the lines of that hasn't happened since Moses on Mount Sinai. The feeling was that that kind of response would open him up to "Well then what about Joseph Smith?" Anyway, have you seen anything like that on a debate? And how do you think that kind of question should be handled?

Briana said...

hmmmm.... I don't know quite what to think or say about that one... it's tough. I mean we all know (or at least we're pretty sure) what he would do with that one. What would anyone do? And gees how do you respond to that in the heat of the moment? Whatever your answer to that - it is going to be blown way out of proportion. Honestly though.... that is really probably not going to happen. Not that God couldn't, but just that he probably wouldn't in the big way the reporters are talking about. Yes, He would give promptings through the Holy Ghost, but probably not appear to Mitt Romney and tell him to do this or that as President. That's a dumb, sensational question. I don't know....

Anonymous said...

I never heard it. I have watched most of the debates. I don't think he said that.

What he has said that might be thought similar to some people is that when elected president he wouldn't do what the prophet told him to if the prophet did tell him to do things. He says that when you take an oath of office your responsibility is to the people that elect you there and no one else.

Youtube romney faith in america speech to get his actual feelings about religion and politics.

If he had said he wouldn't listen to God that would have been his political demise (unless he went blue!) If you get a chance please inform Grandma that that is a false quote. I am 95% positive that I have heard/watched everything he has said publicly on religion since entering the political arena.

Christy said...

good to know that's false.

if it were true i would have thought mitt was dumb for not saying, "of course i would do what god said to do if he appeared to me... wouldn't you??"

i believe even atheists would do what god told them to do if all of the sudden he was on the scene.

Anonymous said...

Christy, that was my thought exactly. I'd turn the tables--well, wouldn't you???!!!! Oh well. I'm curious to know what really happened. Maybe a New Hampshire debate? Not sure.

Anonymous said...

Seriously, I am positive it didn't happen. I watched all of the New Hampshire debates.

I could see it happening though. Mitt gets frustrated when asked stupid questions sometimes and rarely says anything he hasn't practiced. This is an unfortunate product of his Dad's run for president who made a offhand remark about having been "brainwashed" while he was in Vietnam. The comment got misqouted, blown out of proportion, and most people believe was the reason he lost when he ran for president. I think Mitt is terrified of having the same fate.

Anonymous said...

I haven't watched him debate, so maybe I'm off here, but I would think in that situation a little humor would diffuse the situation and be the best approach. Reagon was known for that, handling the press with humor. People loved it.

Anonymous said...

He could use more humor. He tries sometimes and falls flat. Huckleberry is the better comedian.