Friday, February 8, 2008

What Now?

Romney has suspended his campaign. What now?

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hope all of you read Romney's concession speech in the General Post's section.

I think what he said solidified how I feel about him. His action yesterday was extremely honorable, and very selfless. Any doubt I had about his integrity was therein erased forever.

So now the question, what now?

Obama or McCain?

Clinton or McCain?

Don't vote at all?

What is Huckleberry going to do now? (He vowed the morning of Romney's speech to stay in 'til the convention, but we all know he really was only in the race to hurt Romney... Painted himself into a corner didn't he!)

McCain/Romney ticket possibility?

Build a city in Venezuela and eat coconut with Chavez?

What now, and why guys. This discussion I don't have an answer to. I personally vowed less then a week ago that I would never vote for McCain. Did I paint myself into a corner. Let's talk.

And by the way. The passion my hot wife has found in this is very cute. I sure love her. Even when I bored the rest of you to tears she was there.

Briana said...

:D

Thanks Babe! I sure love you!!

Briana said...

P.S. more of my thoughts on this are pending... I have to do some more reading and thinking...

Briana said...

Man, I just went and read his concession speech. That was awesome. He hit the nail on the head. (On a side note, I think that speech needs to go into an American Heritage textbook because he said a ton of the stuff that we have been talking about in my class.)

Well, hmmmm.... like mom I agree that as Mitt "cronies" we should at least consider the things he advises.... one of the biggest things I got from his speech was: VOTE REPUBLICAN. The way he laid things out sounded very much like he was outlining a lot of the different tenets of each sides goals/ beliefs. And it sounds like he was doing that in order to convince those conservatives who have been digusted with John McCain to really think about the implications that switching over to the democratic side would have. Not that any side is perfectly perfect or perfectly imperfect. But, wow, some things to think about. I'm not saying I'm sold on McCain - I am far from it - but I was definitely one of those conservatives disgusted with McCain who was ready to jump ship without too much more thought.

There is a lot to think about. Just what will Hilary or Obama do as president? What would John McCain do as president?

He's absolutely right about a lot of things! Our culture makes us great. What is it about our culture that makes us great?Americans believe in hard work and education. We love God or at least have a "purpose-driven life". We sacrifice to protect our families, friends, and our freedom. However, "The threat to our culture comes from within. The 1960's welfare programs created a culture of poverty. Some think we won that battle when we reformed welfare, but the liberals haven't given up. AT EVERY TURN, THEY TRY TO SUBSTITUTE GOVERNMENT LARGESSE FOR INDIVIDUAL RESPONSIBILITY."

Amen, Amen, and Amen! This is one of the biggest under-lying problems in our country and our culture - lack of personal responsibility. The fruits of this are seen in the great immorality plaguing our nation, in crimes of all sorts, in the problems with welfare, etc, in many of the problems with the economy (people defaulting on loans, declaring bankruptcy like it is nothing, fraud, etc...), and in much much more. It is huge! America is definitely at a cross roads. Many of the basic values that were taught as a part of life to our forebearers have or are disappearing: individual responsibility, honesty, morality, good work ethic, faith, etc. These are values that our nation was founded upon. Without them.... well, we simply just can't continue to be the same great nation that we always have been.

Anyways, I'll stop ranting. You get the picture. I really agree with the things that Mitt said. So what now? Well, I don't know for sure. It is clear though that these things are important and must be kept in mind. I need to really research out the issues with each candidate that is left. With regards to McCain, I know what his positions have been, for the most part. It will be interesting to see, I think, what he does/ says to try and court the more conservative part of the republican party. Will he change his views? Bring an interesting person on board as VP? (Romney would be golden, but I'm not holding my breath on that one.) I don't know. I will have to continue to wait and see.

So, I guess I'm not quite sure what to do next. Other than trying to get more knowledge to make a decision and do what we can to prepare ourselves for whatever may come.

Anonymous said...

By the way, Romney won 17% of the vote in Washington on Saturday, compared to McCain's 25%. Huckster got 24% but is asking for a recount taking lawyers to the state to redefine the hanging chad.

Yes, love, I would say that his speech needs to go down in the books as one of the greatest American speeches. Absolute truth.

Anonymous said...

I agree, Mitt's speech was as good as I'd heard it was. I wonder if it made a person or two look back and wonder why on earth he wasn't in the driver's seat. As Christy said--maybe in 2012. Anyway, it was good to read it in its entirety, because I'd only heard about what he said. Thanks.