According to the Department of Education:
“At 12:00 p.m., Eastern Time (ET), September 8, 2009, President Barack Obama will deliver a national address to the students of America. (Please note that this is a change from the originally scheduled time.) During this special address, the president will speak directly to the nation’s children and youth about persisting and succeeding in school. The president will challenge students to work hard, set educational goals, and take responsibility for their learning.”
“The U.S. Department of Education invites students of all ages, teachers, and administrators to participate in this historic moment by watching the president deliver the address, which will be broadcast live on the White House Web site (http://www.whitehouse.gov/live/) and on C-SPAN at 12:00 p.m., ET. We also encourage educators to use this moment to help students get focused and inspired to begin the new academic year. The Department of Education offers educators a menu of classroom activities-created by its teachers-in-residence, the Teaching Ambassador Fellows-to help engage students in the address and stimulate classroom discussions about the importance of education.”
So, that is what's happening. The other part of the story is that people are upset about it. It would be next to impossible for me to try and find a news story to sum that up without being outrageously biased in one way or another. So, I'm not going to try. Just so you can get an idea of what people are upset about, I will sum up. If you want to read actual news stories about why people are upset, then go look them up yourself.
Basically the controversy is this: You have one side, saying:
On the extreme end -that Obama is using the schools and the media to brainwash kids, calling it the "socialist indoctrination of America's children"
And the more moderate end - who are worried he won't just stick to a nice peppy "stay in school and work hard" message and that he'll push his political agenda and they either don't want their kids to watch it, want to watch it before their kids, or want to watch it with their kids and discuss it.
Then you have the other side, saying:
On the extreme end: "You're all being ignorant and paranoid" and/or "You'd let your kids watch the speech if he was white!" (Side note by me: Give me a FREAKING BREAK - this has nothing to do with race. Can we please drop the race card already?! Gees Louise! Please don't even attempt to debate this point on our blog.)
And the more moderate end: "Whether you agree with him or not, he is the President of the United States - it doesn't hurt to listen and we should teach our kids to respect the office." and "He really is just giving a message about working hard in school and setting goals - relax."
So, do you feel like you have enough background information to delve into this with me? Basically, I want to discuss what your thoughts are on the subject - because I'm still forming opinions myself and I'm interested in this.
Would you/will you let your kids watch this speech?
In school, afterwards with you, only after you've watched it, not at all?
And what are your thoughts about this whole speech in general?
I've heard some opinions about how this is really interesting timing - in the middle of when Obama is trying to push the healthcare reform legislation through... But on the other hand, the school year did just start. Is it just an innocent speech or are there darker motives behind it?
Let me start off by saying outright that I am biased and I know it. I don't like Obama. More importantly, I don't trust him. I've never tried to hide that and I won't now. I freely admitted to Eric this morning that if it had been Bush wanting to give this speech, I wouldn't have given a second thought to letting my kids watch it. Not that I'm in love with Bush - I'm not. I think he made a lot of mistakes and that it is probably a good thing that he is not the president anymore. But, I think he was a basically good guy trying, in general, to do good things. I think if it had even been Clinton trying to give this speech, I wouldn't have minded my kids listening to it. Sure I didn't agree with most of what he did as President, but I wouldn't have been so nervous about it. So what's the difference? Obviously there's more to it than just a republican vs. democrat thing. Clinton was a democrat and Obama is a democrat. It's that I just don't trust Obama. I think he has serious issues and is taking our country down a dangerous and destructive path. Anyways, I'm getting off on a tangent, so I'll stop. But now you know - I'm biased and I admit it.
So, here's what I'm going to do. I'm going to post a variety of comments from other people (comments from news stories) about how they feel about the controversy (in black) and then add my thoughts afterwards (in blue and italicized). Then, you comment on your thoughts/opinions/questions, etc.
Dean Pahl says: "I don not like a single thing this president is doing, But if he were to just tell the students that they need to stay in school and make the best of what it has to offer,well that would probably be alright. But knowing his past, and the other speeches he has given, he will ramble on about how to change America, that were he goes over the line."
I agree...I also don't like what Obama is doing. But, I would be totally fine - even supportive- if he really does just want to give an innocent motivational speech about staying in school and working hard. That would be awesome. But, is that really all it will be?
Jeff in Roswell says: "I can’t stand our Presbo but, I am not going to keep my son out of school because of this speech. These kids need to be exposed to all sorts of things - good and bad. I will be sure to listen to what he “learned” from the speech and make corrective measures if necessary. We try to nurture free thinking in our household - that’s the corrective measures I’m talking about. Having the Presbo talk about staying in school and such is a fine. We’ll deal with the other issues - if there are any."
Becky says: "I didn’t vote for President Obama, but I do respect the title that he carries..My two little ones aren’t really old enough to understand all of what he will say..Will they listen to his speech, yes..They will be taught to respect the President of the United States.."
DB says: "It doesn’t apply to me anymore — I doubt they will be broadcasting this in the classrooms at universities! However, it wouldn’t bother me. I didn’t vote for Obama, but he IS the President of my country, and as such, he has my best wishes for success.
If he wants to talk to schoolchildren — fine. However, I don’t think too many of them are going to appreciate having their lunch interrupted on the East Coast — I don’t know how much of an impression he’s going to make on hungry kids! I’d rather my children HEAR what he has to say and then have a chance to DISCUSS it with them and talk about what Obama is trying to do and why I agree or disagree with his actions.
Civilized people listen to other’s views, whether or not they disagree with them. Listening never killed anyone."
teeincsg says: "If you don’t respect the man, at least respect the office. I was no Bush, but I respected the office he represented. I listened to what the president had to say because in the end, it affected me in some way...."
Another excellent point that I agree with - well two excellent points actually. One - you should listen because it will effect you in some way. And two - something I feel very strongly about - we may not agree with who is in office, but it is important to respect the office. I feel like that is something that is being lost as the country becomes more and more partisan and divided. I think the military does a nice job demonstrating how we should conduct ourselves... hopefully this isn't too far-fetched or cheesy of an example, but in the movie, "The Sum of all Fears", there's an interesting contrast shown between how the mainstream American public treats the public and how the marines treat the president. The president is in Philadelphia to watch a football game - the super bowl, maybe? Anyways, as he enters the stadium, the majority of the crowd is booing him - obviously he's not a unanimously popular president. Then, terrorists set off a nuclear explosion in the football stadium and word gets to people close to the president that the bomb is somewhere in the city and he is rushed out only minutes before it goes off. The car carrying the president obviously crashes from the explosion and they are injured and stranded. The marines helicopter in to find and rescue the president. They treat him with respect (calling him Mr. President, etc.) and are risking their lives to do the duty they agreed to do. Its very possible that many of them didn't vote for him, didn't like him, or didn't care for the things he had done. But, they still respected the office of President of the United States and acted accordingly. Anyways, its an interesting contrast. We need to respect the presidency for what it is - an office to be respected and admired for the hard work and what it represents, and not a platform for pushing political agendas. One of the comments I read talked about the need to remember that we don't live under Obama's authority, but he lives under our authority as citizens. Obviously we follow the laws of the land, but he is supposed to be a servant of the people - not some all powerful leader.
KATHY says: "Little E is not school aged yet, but if she were I would want to watch this at home with her, or view it before watching it with her, and then discuss it as a family (like DB). I would be uncomfortable with her watching it without knowing exactly what his agenda is. I agree with Dean Pahl…..you just never know how he is going to veer off during his speeches. I have some friends who are pulling their children from school on Tuesday. One of my teacher friends said that they are taping the speech and will show it on Wednesday, to avoid the conflict with lunch when it will be broadcast on Tuesday."
So, looking at it with all the things that have been mentioned in mind... it is important to listen to what the President says and to teach your children to respect the office by listening as well. So, an all out boycott of the speech - I think, definitely not. It's not good to be blindly ignorant. It is important to be free-thinking and to consider many points of view. However, it is also important to be proactive in safeguardinig the education of our children. We are ultimately responsible for what they are taught. I lean towards something more middle ground like I probably wouldn't let my children watch it at school (as I don't think its the school's place to try to impart political agendas to my kids), but that we would watch it together as a family and then discuss it, so it can be viewed with the framework and context that is consistent with our family values and beliefs.
Saheed says: I came to the US from a country run by a dictator and his henchmen. It was not always that way, it came about rather slowly. This speech by Obama is just the type of coercion and indoctrination that children in communist/theocratic/dictatorial lands are exposed to. It is designed to work into their minds the authority and power of one man…remember all the Saddam posters and statues in Baghdad, the statues of Lenin/Stalin in Moscow and the worship of Mao in China? This is how that gets started and should be seen for what it is; “training” and “indoctrination” of children. Very frightening to anyone who has seen it before."
Wow... JATL says: "I tend to agree with Saheed, though he does sound somewhat like Neal Boortz (not, as Seinfeld would say, that there is anything wrong with that). Though I may not go as far as he does in comparing this initial foray into speaking TO the school children by comparing Obama to Mao, Saddam, and Lenin/Stalin (though Stalin is Obama’s hero) he is correct that “This is how that gets started and should be seen for what it is; “training” and “indoctrination” of children”.
However, while the Prezbo may try to deviate from what he says he will say, I doubt the public will stand for a significant deviation IF he gets too far off the original intent. Only time will tell!And, as DB says, “listening never killed anyone”."
Interesting.... I am not totally sold on all the conspiracy theories and total paranoia that is out there. However, I also consider some of what is being presented and have not totally ruled them out. What I can tell you thought, is that statements like the one above are very interesting to me after listening to what Eric experienced in Venezuela, living under a "president" who is really a dictator and also from reading/watching the happenings in history and presently in other parts of the world who are living under dictators. No country is immune from something like that. Not even the United States. Most every country who has fallen or is under a dictator started out in circumstances not unlike ours - things didn't seem suspicious at first. Because we are not immune, it is important that we always on the watch and are always guarded. Don't just accept things at face value.
Along these lines, another interesting thing of note is that, like the D of E said in their letter, there are lesson plans available to teachers to use in leading a discussion after the speech. You can go to the D of E website to look at them - some of the questions seem kind of fishy to me. Like, "How can I support elected officials like the President?" This does not relate to staying in school. What does that question have to do with working hard in school, going to college, setting goals, etc.??? It sounds more along the lines of what Saheed was talking about above - trying to establish the authority of one man in the minds of the children. Seriously, how does that question relate??? If you really want to lead a discussion strictly based on what his speech is supposed to be about, you should ask questions like, "Why is it important to finish school?" or "What benefits can I receive from going to college?" or "What goals can I set for myself to be able to finish up school and get to college?" And yes its true that teachers are not "required" to use the lesson plans, etc. But still, something doesn't seem quite right to me.
And now for my favorite comment - one that I think sums it all up really well:
Jessica says: "If the President was simply delivering a nice motivational “stay in school” speech, I would be okay with that. He is the leader of our government and it’s a good thing for him to encourage students to succeed. (Amen!) Unfortunately, I think there is a political agenda behind it, especially considering the supplemental activities recommended to teachers. (Yup!) Did any of you read 1984 when you were in school? Do you remember anything from your modern world history classes? One great way to stifle free speech is to indoctrinate children so that they are more loyal to the state than to their families. I’m not saying that’s what Obama wants to do, but we can’t allow him to move one millimeter in that direction. Freedom has to be carefully guarded."
Wow, that is a GREAT quote at the end. Isn't that just a great comment in general? I think it really sums up my thoughts. I'm not necessarily saying that I'm sure that's where Obama is trying to go, but we have to be extremely wary and vigilant. Not even one millimeter! Our freedom has to be very carefully guarded or else it will be taken from us. Like, I said before, we are not immune. Yes, our government and our country have been set up in such a way to try to balance power out and to try to protect from that happening, but slowly - bit by bit - those protective measures are being eroded and removed. Again... I'm starting to get off on a tangent, so I'll stop right there... but we can talk more later if you want. :) When I was discussing this comment with Eric, he mentioned how interesting it is that more and more when you hear conservatives talk, its not about protecting this issue or that... its about the big picture issue - preserving our freedom. It's interesting how things are moving more that way... more so than anytime in recent history and by recent, I mean hundreds of years. I don't know -I'm probably not making sense... Eric always says things better than I can, so maybe I'll let him post what he really said in a comment or come back and edit this post or something, because he said it really well. :) Anyways...
So those are a bunch of my random thoughts about the issue - I don't know if they make sense... but take them for what they're worth. What are your thoughts?
************************
And just for fun... this doesn't really relate... but I thought it was a funny comment that someone left -
Mother Jane Goose says: "OOOPS…I forgot to share this. I saw a poster with this in a school yesterday..not verbatim but I Thought it was great:
LET YOUR EFFORT RISE ABOVE YOUR EXCUSES….
perhaps Obama will share this important concept….ROFL."
(ROFL= "rolling on the floor laughing") tehe.
7 comments:
Hmm...I'm not sure what I want to say. From the school side of things, most teachers seem to be on board with watching the speech with our students. We had to send a letter home with our students yesterday and the parents are allowed to "opt-out" of the entire thing.
Personally, I think the controversy is kind of silly. He is the President. We should respect the office. We should listen to what the President has to say. Didn't other Presidents do things like fireside chats? That wasn't seen as "indoctrinating" the country.
That doesn't mean we have to agree. I'm sure teachers say things in school that not all parents agree with. You can't prevent your kids from hearing differing opinions, and you shouldn't (I think). That's why when your kids get home from school, you ask what they learned, what they discussed, what they thought, and you respond. Right? That doesn't mean to me that you completely sensor all information that your children get. I want my kids to have opinions of their own, I want them to be exposed to different ideas and develop their own beliefs. I don't think the answer is to only expose them to the things you already agree with.
I see many of these journalists that are making this into a controversy as polarizing the country. I see them as trying to make this into something that it isn't. I see them as trying to brainwash us into thinking that a harmless speech by the President of the United States is trying to brainwash us. I see them as pushing their own agenda, before the President even has a chance.
I guess the bottom line is that I think this is being made into something that it isn't. Obama is the President. His job is to lead. He's trying to motivate school children. There is nothing socialist, undemocratic, or unAmerican about that. If he gets up and tells school children to encourage their parents to vote for his healthcare plan, I'll take it all back. Until then, I'm going to say that listening to the President give a speech and discussing it in school and at home sounds like it's right up the alley of a US history teacher.
i agree with courtney completely. i would let my kids listen, then discuss later at home what they learned. even if obama does talk about healthcare reform, or any other issue, i'd probably do the same thing. kids need to learn to hear opinions, discuss, and then form their own opinions. i think it would be oh, so silly to pull your kids out.
First of all, everything I have heard from rational sources say that the speech is going to be about working hard in school, doing your homework, and not dropping out. I have nothing to say against any of that. Great message. Important message. Go Obama Go!
Well, doesn't matter anymore. They have changed the lessons and the content of the speech. Looks like we will never know what was really going to be said...
Nebo School District (Springville) isn't going to show the speech.
Personally, I would definitely let my children go to school and watch the speech as long as I didn't think there would be something immoral in it, as would Briana. What I hate is to think of the millions of children who go to school and are taught opinion without someone level headed to come home and talk to. We as parents put a lot of trust in the schools, and the teachers. Always hoping they are worthy of that trust (like you Courtney.) I know some of mine weren't.
Interesting comments. I'd like to trust our president to make a harmless motivational speech. But, quite honestly, I don't.
I appreciate Eric's comment about the trust parents put in teachers. One reason we decided to move back to Utah (and no, Utah isn't perfect) was because of the social propaganda we found in the schools our kids attended in Colorado. Three examples:
1) Amy came home from a 3rd grade class and said "I don't know who to believe--you or my teacher." The issue: population control
2) Eric came home from school and reported that his 4th grade teacher had commented that anyone who voted for Proposition 2 was a bigot. We had a sign for Prop. 2 in our yard. (It was a bill which would have limited gay rights--a bill which, incidentally, won the vote, but was overturned by the governor.)
3) In Jenny's Jr. High, they held March "diversity month" where they had guest speakers from the community come in with presentations. Several of those presentations were made by the gay and lesbian community. This wasn't hearsay--I attended one of them myself and listened to the presenters explain to the Jr. High kids what they could do if they weren't ready to come out of the closet or who they could go to if they didn't feel comfortable telling their parents.
So--how much should kids be exposed to differing philosophies? I guess that's a judgement for each parent to make. But, as Eric said, a lot of kids don't go home and talk to their parents. And, even if they do, peer pressure is pretty strong stuff.
In the 7th grade science book in Colorado, the teachers were encouraged to present a controversial topic and then have the kids take sides. Literally, the suggestion was for the kids to stand on opposite sides of the room, depending on which opinion they held. (And incidentally, the book was pretty biased. Those who promoted certain agendas gave intelligent, articulate arguments. Those who were less liberal in their philosophy, were portrayed as being stupid, uneducated and bigoted.) Anyway, I always wondered how the one kid who disagreed with the rest would feel about standing alone on the opposite side of the room.
And finally, after spending the last week testing all the kids in our school, I think the schools ought to concentrate on teaching the kids how to read and leave the social issues to their parents. Especially in elementary school and jr. high!
Anyway, this has gotten a long way from the original question, and you can see that it hit a soap box issue for me! So, back to the original issue--if President Obama sincerely just wants to encourage the kids to do their homework, more power to him. But if he has anything else in mind, then shame on him.
And by the way, has any other president given a back to school address? I'm wondering if that's the best use of his time.
Mom: Thanks for your comments - I think that both Reagan and Bush Sr. have given similar addresses, from what I've read.
first off... he creeps me out too.
second... I can't bring myself to watch very much news, because it scares me. So to be honest I had no idea this was going to happen. So when I picked the kids up from school I asked if they watched it, and they said no, but they had something for me to sign regarding it. Their school had a bunch of complaints about showing it and delayed it until the next day and said if we didn't want our kids to watch it then to sign a form and they would have something else for them to do. Giving parents a chance to view it first! Which I was greatful for. I did view it, and did let my kids watch it. It was motivational, however I don't think it was necessary. I do agree that we need to be respectful of our President, whoever it may be, BUT in all reality, we do need to be on our toes with this President... things are a little out of hand these days.
Post a Comment